Features and Specifications
One Part Adhesives / Sealants
ilmate RTV1473 silicone rubber is a black, on-component, ready-to-use sealant designed for formed-in-place gasketing applications where good oil resistance is a design consideration. RTV1473 silicone rubber has a paste-like consistency when initially dispensed and cures on exposure to atmospheric moisture at room temperature to form an elastomeric, resilient silicone rubber gasket.
The paste consistency of RTV1473 silicone rubber allows the product to flow only with external pressure. As a result RTV1473 silicone rubber can be applied to horizontal, vertical, or overhead surfaces in thicknesses up to 6mm(1/4in.).
RTV1473 silicone rubber utilizes a moisture vapor cure system which release acetic acid vapors from the sealant surface as a by-product of cure.
RTV 1473 silicone rubber exhibits flow characteristics for rapid dispensing with standard pumping equipment used in assembly line production systems.
Key Performance Properties:
* One component product
* Thixotropic paste consistency
* Capability to cure at room temperature and ambient humidity conditions
* Primerless adhesion to many substrates
* Retains elastomeric properties for long periods at temperatures up to 204°C(400°F) and for short periods up to 260°C(500°F)
* Low temperature flexibility
* High quality weatherability and ozone and oil resistance
* Conforms to surface voids and irregularities to form a positive seal in mated surfaces
* Flow characteristics allow rapid dispensing with automated equipment
Two types of formed-in-place gasketing applications can be selected: a wet bead method and a cured bead method.
The wet bead method involves mating parts before RT1473 silicone rubber cure has been completed. This method provides the best seal but makes future disassembly more difficult.
In applications where easy disassembly/reassembly of parts is desired, the cured bead method should be considered. This method involves dispensing the RTV1473 on one surface and allowing it to fully cure before mechanically joining the surfaces.
RTV1473 silicone rubber is not for use in delicate electrical and electronic applications in which corrosion of copper, brass, or other sensitive metals is undesirable. Not for use in contact with gasoline.